Join Velo Champ for their annual Summer Solstice campout bike-packing ride in conjunction with Swift.Industries and Adventure Cycling Association. Leaving from the shop in Old Seminole Heights in Tampa they will be riding North into Zephyrhills, through the Green Swamp Wildlife Management Area and arriving at the campsite on the Withlacoochee river at the legendary Freeman Dude Ranch. Approximate ride distance is 55+ miles. Terrain will include hobo trails, railroad tracks, single-track, double-track, farm roads and some highway riding. Temperatures are expected to exceed 95˚ with 90% humidity.
You can expect this campout/overnight trip to include brutal FL summer temperatures, beer, safety meetings, whiskey, comradre, pop tarts, bb guns, camp coffee, flat tires, sporks, camping shenanigans and more!
Emergency Contact Info: TBA
Link to Route: https://ridewithgps.com/
GOOD TO KNOW (GTK)
• WATER – Be prepared to have at least 100-120oz of water capacity while riding. There will be plenty of opportunity to fill up throughout the ride. Including some planned rest points and water refill locations.
• FOOD – plan to carry at least 1-days food with you along the ride. 2-days food is ideal. High calorie, small food items that can be packed and unpacked while riding are ideal. Fruit, trail mix, peanut/almond/sesame/
• TERRAIN – the route is comprised of sections of rough highway shoulder, asphalt trails, limestone roads, horse trails, singletrack, double-track, and rail-side hobo trails.
• BIKES/TIRES – cyclocross bikes or touring bikes are suitable, 29’ers, mountain bikes, fat bikes or the like will also be suitable. 35mm or larger tire diameter is recommended. Nearly 1:1 gearing capability will be suitable.
• GEAR – plan to be carry all riding/repairing/camping necessities with you along the ride. Frame bags, saddle bags, panniers, randonneur bags, backpacks are all suitable.