WHAT IS CYCLOVIA?
Cyclovia (also referred to as Ciclovía or Open Streets) is based on the Spanish word for “cycle path.” Ciclovía is a weekly tradition that started in Bogotá, Colombia, which temporarily closes major city streets to car traffic and converts them into safe and open, car-free environments for families to run, bike, play and be well together.
The practice has become a worldwide phenomenon reaching Australia, Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Israel, India and dozens of cities across the United States. Cyclovia is a celebration of physical activity, healthy movement, and active transportation. Starting in 2014, the Florida Department of Transportation and our community partners began hosting Cyclovia events in the Tampa Bay area!
Cyclovia In the News!
- May 16, 2016 – ABC Action News: Cyclovia in Tampa Bay
- May 15, 2016 – Fox 13 News: Cyclists, walkers take over street for Cyclovia
- October 26, 2015 – Creative Loafing: Look mom, no cars! Cyclovia 2015
- October 25, 2015 – Fox 13 News: Bicyclists, pedestrians shut down Kennedy Blvd.
- October 25, 2015 – Tampa Tribune: Pedalers, pedestrians take over Kennedy Blvd. for Cyclovia
- October 25, 2015 – WFLA: Second Annual Cyclovia wheels away in downtown Tampa
- October 23, 2015 – South Tampa-Hyde Park Patch: Cyclovia Takes Over Downtown Tampa Sunday
- October 23, 2015 – Tampa Tribune: Cyclovia bicycling event returns to downtown Tampa
- October 21, 2014 – Creative Loafing: Sunday’s Cyclovia will hopefully pave the way for a bike-safe Tampa Bay
- October 20, 2014 – ABC Action News: Kennedy Boulevard in downtown Tampa temporarily transformed
- October 19, 2014 – Tampa Bay Times: Bicyclists, Pedestrians Rule Kennedy Boulevard
- October 19, 2014 – Bay News 9: Cyclovia rolls into Downtown Tampa
- October 19, 2014 – Tampa Tribune: Tampa’s First Cyclovia Draws Bicyclists Downtown
- October 19, 2014 – WFLA: Cyclovia Promotes Cycling, Safety
- October 19, 2014 – WTSP 10 News: Cyclovia Closes Part of Kennedy Boulevard
- October 1, 2014 – TBO Seen: Why part of downtown Tampa will be car-free during Cyclovia
- September 29, 2014 – Tampa Tribune: For one glorious day, no cars allowed in part of downtown Tampa
- September 23, 2014 – 83 Degrees Media: For one day, Cyclovia reserves downtown Tampa Street for bikes