There are many programs and initiatives that promote a fun, safe pedestrian and bicycle culture in the Tampa Bay area. Whether you’re looking for a pedestrian safety presentation for your group or a guided walking tour of Downtown Tampa, you’ll find a list of programs and initiatives below that benefit Tampa Bay communities.
Do the Local Motion
The “Do the Local Motion” program offers free, guided walking tours of Downtown Tampa. But it’s more than a pleasant walk through downtown—it’s a cultural experience. Guest tour guides lead themed biweekly tours that focus on Tampa’s history. Participants say the tours make them comfortable walking downtown for the first time, and they love the opportunity to learn more about the city they call home.
“Do the Local Motion” tours may look back at the bay area’s unique past, but they urge residents to look forward to a local culture of healthy movement, and take the necessary steps toward a safe, walkable future.
WalkWise Tampa Bay
Since 2010, WalkWise Tampa Bay staff have given over 1,900 live presentations to neighborhood associations, civic groups, shelters, and distributed safety information to over 400 businesses along high-crash corridors. Presentations are free and can be requested by clicking the logo above. Attendees take the WalkWise Tampa Bay pledge to stay safe, and promise to help loved ones do the same; over 30,000 people have taken the oath to date, reminding Floridians that safety starts with them.
WalkWise Tampa Bay is managed by University of South Florida’s Center for Urban Transportation Research and funded by District 7 of the Florida Department of Transportation.
Bike Friendly Tampa
Bicycle Friendly Business is a certification program for companies that demonstrate commitment to promoting and supporting cycling. This national program is administered through the League of American Cyclists and brought to you by Tampa Downtown Partnership, the City of Tampa, Florida Department of Transportation, and Pedal Power Promoters
BikeSmart is a free hour-long bike safety class for adult audiences.
As part of each class, a certified instructor will walk participants through the basic “Top 10” tips of bike safety in an informal classroom style setting. Each participant will also leave with important safety gear such as a light set, or vest. Register for one of the listed FREE Bicycle Safety classes by clicking the logo, or sign up to host a class.
BikeSmart is managed by University of South Florida’s Center for Urban Transportation Research and funded by District 7 of the Florida Department of Transportation.
- Cyclovia - Cyclovia (also referred to as Ciclovía or Open Streets) is based on the Spanish word for “cycle path.” Ciclovía is a weekly tradition that started in Bogotá, Colombia, which temporarily closes major city streets to car traffic and converts them into safe and open, car-free environments for families to run, bike, play and be well together.
- Coast Bikeshare - a network of stations where bikes are publicly available for short-term rental through several different fare options. See Tampa or St. Petersburg
- Tampa BayCycle - a program that promotes safe and enjoyable biking for everyday transportation and recreation for a livable community in the Tampa Bay area.
- TBARTA Emergency Ride Home – provides a free (or low cost) emergency taxi ride home if you carpool, vanpool, ride the bus, bicycle or walk to work.
- TBARTA Bicycle Buddy Program - a free service through Tampa Bay Area Regional Transportation Authority (TBARTA) that matches bicycle commuters with one another.
- HART Bikes on Buses - program with resources that make it easy to bring your bicycle on the bus.
- PSTA Bikes on Buses - program with resources that make it easy to bring your bicycle on the bus.